Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

July 15, 2008

Where to Begin

I used to remember the "Lazy Days of Summer" when I was a kid. We played and had lots of time to chill out. What happened to those days? We have been so busy. I knew going into June that it was our busy month, but July isn't much better.

Since I last posted...first, my mother-in-law's family came to town. It began with Leland's sister wanting to come to watch the Braves play the Rangers. It grew from there and Granny, 4 sisters, 8 cousins and spouses, and 10 great-grandchildren (at least) came to town. Monday was Six Flags and Tuesday was pool and baseball. It was a lot of fun seeing everyone and having a great time.

The very next day we headed out for New Mexico. We spent the night in Artesia at my in-laws house and then left for Mountain View Christian Camp the next morning. We love MVCC. We used to work 6 weeks of camp in the summer, but 2 years ago we just were teachers for one week and last year we missed totally since we had a baby and moved. This year I was head cook again and Leland was activity director. We were there for counselor training and the first session of camp. We really enjoyed it. It was much harder this time having 3 kids, but we managed. There was another family there with kids the same age as ours so they were a big help. Their son and Ryland became instant friends and we hardly ever saw them. It was a great week and a half.

Some deer on the camp grounds.
Ryland and his buddy at camp.
Reese and the best brother ever.
We went to the Flying J Ranch for supper and entertainment one night while at camp.

We also had Ryland's birthday at camp. All of his birthdays with the exception of last year have been celebrated at MVCC. He was so glad to be back for his birthday. I just can't believe my little boy is 6! He is growing so much. He's lost that little boy look.


Ryland has always (except for last year) had college age people at his birthday parties.


Ryland in his pirate outfit from Donna.

After camp, we spent a week in Artesia at Leland's parents house. We had a great time. We just bummed around most of time. It was nice to relax for a bit.

Raylee loved helping Grammy cook. I don't think she was happy about having to clean up the mess.


Reese starting stand up by herself while we were in Artesia. Still still isn't walking by herself, but she loves to stand.

Reese didn't want her knees dirty while we were hanging out in the driveway.

We took Ryland to the Carlsbad Caverns one day. It was a great day. He was very unsure of the cave at first, but once we convinced him that it would not fall in on us, he was better. He really enjoyed the personal microphone for the self-tour. He learned so much.

After the caverns, we ate supper with some good friends in Carlsbad and then went to the Carlsbad Lake. (not my idea of a lake, but that's what they call it). We had a nice walk and enjoyed the nice evening. We got home late. The girls had stayed with Pappy, Grammy and Aunt Lesa and had a great time also.

We spent the 4th in Artesia also. Some of Sandy's family came to town also. Artesia has one of the best fireworks shows I've ever seen, so it was a wonderful evening also. We also did some family pictures (the last ones didn't have any kids). We didn't get very many options when everyone was looking at the camera with a without a frown, but we got enough.

The next day we, along with Lesa, headed to Lubbock. We visited my Granddad and his wife Maxine. We had a very nice visit. We hadn't seen them since last July, so it was long overdue. The really enjoyed watching the kids play. Sunday we went to church with them at Parkway Drive. We were members there back in our college days and were even married there so it was nice to return to see some familiar faces. We all met my mom's brother and his family for lunch before heading out on the 6 hour drive home. (I don't have any pictures with this family because the battery in our camera died. Hopefully Maxine will send me copies of hers)

We was a nice but very long trip. We were glad to see so many friends and family, but we were definitely ready to be home in our own beds.

Lesa stayed with us for 3 days before flying back home. She and Leland and Ryland went to the Rangers game on Monday and Tuesday. We then all went on the Ballpark Tour Wednesday morning before taking her to the airport. It was nice to spend a few extra days with Aunt Lesa.

Leland and Lesa in the Ranger's dugout.

We've been busy since we've been home also. Since I was gone for 2 1/2 weeks, I've been doing lots of catching up with work and Leland has been gearing up for journalism workshops and the start of school. Last Saturday Leland went to Houston to help our dear friends, Reuben and Shannon, move while the kids and I attended VBS at our church and went to another Ranger's game. This time though, we went with my brother, his family, and their friends that had connections to get us into a suite. Now that is the way to watch baseball - especially with kids. We had a nice time visiting and watching baseball. We even had free ice cream in the little helmets - a nice evening indeed.


Ryland really likes his uncle Mitch. He really prefers him playing the Wii though.

This week the kids are going to VBS at our friend Donna's church. They have had a good time each evening, but are so tired since they don't get to bed until around 11. They did sleep in the tent in the living room last night though - good times.

Tomorrow the kids will be staying with Donna while Leland and I go to Grandbury, TX to stay in a bed and breakfast to celebrate our 10th anniversary. (I can't believe it has been 10 years!). We are looking forward to getting away from kids and work to just be together. It should be fun.

Well, I'm sure it was just our parents that made it to the end (both of our dads have mentioned my lack of posting). At least I might be caught up on what has been happening in our world. Hopefully I'll do better now that we are home.

8 comments:

Laura said...

I made it to the end. You guys have really been busy. Glad you have had such a fun summer.

Melanie said...

Wow...you guys have been busy! Happy 10th anniversary. Also, (this is very random), but was it Gary & Robin you guys met at camp? The little boy with Ryland looks like their son, Saran. If so, Gary is Christian's Aunt Lorna's brother...if that makes sense. We see them almost every year at Christmas. Small world!

Harmony said...

What a small world. Yes, it was them. We have known them from camp for many years, but our boys just clicked this year. We decided that we have to arrange to be there at the same time next year.

Aleta said...

Hey Harmony! You reminded me of our summer cooking together at MVCC! It was good to catch up with what's going on with you. I really enjoyed meeting Keynan and Parker in Searcy. You've got a sweet family all around. Loved the pictures!

Kelly said...

OK. I know she was completely fine, and I know no one was in the truck. But the picture of Reese in the driveway freaked me out! I guess it just caught me off guard when I scrolled down. I literally jumped. I guess I was going to go and catch her. How goofy am I?

I miss you and your kiddos. Love the pictures.

Lauren said...

I made it! Wow, Ryland looks great as a pirate--what a cool outfit. Miss y'all but yea, we get to see you soon!!

Connie said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I love reading about your family activities and seeing all the great pictures. Does it take you forever to get the pictures where you want them with captions and everything. I worked on some today and it was quite trying at times. Any tips or hints you want to share with me? Thanks again, and I'm glad you guys are safely home.

Katherine said...

Wow-what a busy summer!! Your kids are growing so fast and are so beautiful!!

I love the family pictures in Artesia. I could not make it to the fireworks this year and was REALLY bummed-that is a highlight of my year...not to mention I love the people there!!

I remember Parkway Drive! I really enjoyed going there the short time I did. I cannot believe it has been 10 years-wow! Happy (belated) anniversary!! I love Granbury and hope you had fun!

Blessings~