Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

December 16, 2007

Rough Week

This has been a rough week. If you read Leland's blog, you already know about the 5 girls from his high school that were involved in a car accident killing one and another is still in a coma last we heard. That happened last Wednesday.

Yesterday morning our next door neighbor died suddenly from a heart attack. He was 35 and left a wife, 13 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. We had become good friends with these neighbors. We both moved into our houses the same day. Ryland and their daughter hit it off immediately and are good buddies. The mother takes Ryland to school everyday and I pick up the daughter from school on Monday's. About once a month we usually eat a meal together. So it was such a shock when at 8:45 am the Arlington police were at our door telling us they had a medical emergency. Leland quickly told the mother to leave the daughter with him and I would drive them to the hospital. Soon after the mother, the son and I arrived at the hospital (several of her family and friends were already there) the hospital staff moved us to the family waiting area and told her the news. I had never experienced that before. I have been around death, but it has always been expected death - never sudden so close to me. It was a scary time. She is so scared about raising the kids alone and making it through the holidays.

With two instances of sudden death in the past week, our hearts have hurt so much. These type of situations make you wonder what you would do in that situation and you pray you don't have to find out. It was so hard sitting with the wife while realizing that her daughter is at my house with my son about her age. Such a scary thought. Last night all the kids slept in our bed with us. We felt we needed to hug and keep everyone close for a night as we all deal with this. We know this will be rough on Ryland once he and the daughter start spending time together again. We're sure he'll have lots of questions and we'll have to find lots of answers.

So please pray for all of these families: the family who lost a daughter last week, the family who has a daughter still fighting for her life, and our neighbors who lost a husband and father. Life is so precious. Remember to tell the ones you love how much you do love them. Thank you for praying.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Harmony, our prayers are with your friends....wow, I know that Ryland will be such a help to his little friend even at his young age. Life is so precarious and I am so thankful we have hope for Heaven. Can't imagine not believing in God and a better place to go...don't know how people make it without hope...love, Becky

Anonymous said...

I had to stop and cry a little after talking to you yesterday. As I said, I know this family is blessed to have your family as friends and neighbors. As your mom, it pains me that you are having to deal with something so tragic and close. I am so proud of you for being the kind of people that new friends would know they could turn to. I can't imagine anyone better than Leland and your kids for Madison to stay with. And I can't imagine anyone better that you with your calming "take control of the situation" spirit to be with the wife and son.
I was just thinking, I was Ryland's age when Marsha died. He will deal with this on his level in his sweet way.
Will there be a funeral/memorial? Let us know. We've been praying for all of you -- love you -- mom

Kelly said...

Harmony,

I am so sorry you are having to deal with such a tragic situation. I know your friend will be comforted having you and Leland close by, and Ryland will be a great source of comfort to Madison. Tyler and I will be praying for all of you. We love you and admire you for your willingness to reach out and help all that you know.

Kelly

Lauren said...

Love you and I'm praying for you and these families. Your neighbors are lucky to have you as friends. I have to second what your mom said.

Love, Lauren